Friday, July 29, 2022

STEGEMANN FLYRODS - The Making of Zorro

Even with it's screwed up algorithms, I still get a lot out of Instagram and recently came across the work of Manual Stegemann of Stegemann Flyrods.  He was just beginning a new Zorro build and I asked if he'd chronicle it with a few photographs.  He also provided a short introduction of himself, the design focus of the Zorro 3-weight, and how it was built. 

I've added Stegemann Flyrods to the Fiberglass Fly Rod Makers list and look forward to seeing what he has going on next.  His many talents as a fly rod builder are clearly evident.   

 


Manual wrote...  "My name is Manuel Stegemann from Switzerland.  I am a husband, father of three and I work as a paramedic.  Besides that, I am enthusiastic fly fisher and rod builder. I started building my own rods five years ago.  
The more I went down the rabbit hole, the wish came up to design my own blank. With some effort and a lucky coincidence, the Stegemann Zorro was born. It is a 7 1/2 foot three-piece 3-weight black S-Glass blank.

The finished rod is perfect to fish smaller streams and is just right for spontaneous, intuitive flyfishing.  Short, direct, with a medium fast action.  Ideal for stalking with the dry fly. 

The name Zorro comes from the fact that I look like him when I drill a fish.  At least my friends say so.
 
The guides are from Snake Brand and the red stripping guide is made by Ernest from Perfect Europe.  All wrapped with classic red Pearsall’s silk and packed in a thin, smooth finish.  The insert and reel seat hardware made of high strength aluminum are all shop made. 

The shape of the grip may look hard edged at first sight, but it feels very comfortable when you fish thumb on top. The rod comes with a nice matching bag made by my lovely wife and a tube made of ash wood."











You can see more of Manuel's work on the Stegemann Flyrods website and be sure to follow along on Instagram too.

No comments: